December 31st is fast approaching, and so are the parties, celebrations, and hopes for a happy new year. And while we are all familiar with the countdown, ball drop and making of resolutions, did you know these fun facts about New Year’s?
- The first New Year was celebrated 4000 years ago by the ancient Babylonians.
- In ancient Rome, the New Year began on March 1.
- January is named after the god with two faces, Janus, whose one face looked forward while the other looked back.
- The Chinese New Year is celebrated on the second full moon after the winter solstice.
- It is considered good luck to eat black-eyed peas, ham and cabbage on January 1 as they are believed to bring prosperity and good fortune.
- But stay away from lobster and chicken because they are associated with a reversal of fortune. This is because lobsters can walk and chickens can scratch in reverse.
- If you want to ring in the New Year in a big way, the top three places to celebrate in North America are Las Vegas, Disney World and New York City.
- Internationally, one of the biggest New Year’s celebrations is held in Sydney, Australia, where more than 80,000 fireworks are set off from the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
- One downside to this holiday is that more vehicles are stolen on New Year’s Day than any other holiday.
- The most common resolutions are to lose weight, eat healthier, stop smoking, exercise more, and save money.
This year, instead of making numerous resolutions that are broken before they ever really begin, try making just one that will offer a ripple effect to the rest of your life – increase your social network.
Why is this important?
Because loneliness is an increasing epidemic that has shown to decrease life expectancy. On the other hand, studies have found that those with rich friendships and an active social calendar are healthier and happier. You can read more about the health benefits of friendship here.
There are many widespread benefits to friendship and it is never too late to expand your social network. Amintro is a social app designed exclusively for those aged 50 plus looking to make new friends, expand their social circles, and get the most out of life. Membership is free, and enables you to connect with like-minded individuals online and then head out to connect in person in your community. It is a safe, easy, and effective way to meet new people.
Happy New Year!
By Christine Tompa