The days are short and cold. When the sun isn’t out, it can be hard to find the motivation to do anything, let alone leave the bed or couch. Despite this, the winter months have so much to offer us, if you know where to look.
It’s time to get up and get moving and enjoy these winter months to the fullest. Here’s how.
- Vitamin D. Most of us don’t get enough vitamin D, especially during the winter months. Up your intake by drinking milk, eating fatty fish or taking a supplement. This “sunshine vitamin” has shown to be helpful in combating the winter blues and restoring energy levels.
- Soak up the sun. Take advantage of the days when the sun is out. Open up those blinds and let the sunlight shine through your home and over your face. Better yet, get outside for a walk or winter activity while soaking up those rays.
For days where there is no sun to be seen, light therapy lamps are a great option. They simulate sunlight and sitting in front of one for about an hour has been found to lift moods and energy levels of those impacted by the winter blues or seasonal affective disorder.
- Exercise. Research shows a positive link between exercise and mental wellbeing. If you are experiencing depression, feel lonely, or simply feel “blah” get moving. Join a gym, sign up for a fitness class, enjoy an activity such as walking, skiing, skating or curling, and notice an almost instantaneous boost in your mood thanks to the endorphins, change of scenery, and people around you.
- Plan a Trip. Sometimes you just need to get away. Whether it is someplace sunny and warm or staying local and going to a nice B&B, the excitement is sure to blast those winter blues away. The change of pace, routine and surroundings will all do wonders for your mood and energy levels.
- Socialize. Friendship really can be the best medicine. Socializing with close-knit friends and larger social circles offers tremendous benefits and boosts feelings of happiness. Find motivation, get active and explore new possibilities by joining a social community.
Amintro is the social app designed exclusively for those 50 plus. We facilitate friendships by connecting like-minded individuals in their communities. Join for free here or learn more about us, our community and how to become an Amintronian by following us on Twitter: @AmintroFriends, or liking us on Facebook: AmintroFriends.
By Christine Tompa