With the warm spring air upon us it is second nature to open the windows and delve into the cleaning. Replacing the drab days of winter with fresh cut flowers, fresh air, and a spotless home. But this year why not take things a few steps further? Here we’ve outlined the often overlooked areas of your home, relationships and personal growth that could probably use a little sprucing up.
Spring clean your home
- Medicine Cabinets. Go through all of your prescription and non-prescription medicines, checking their expiry dates. Keep what is good, pack up anything that is expired or you no longer need and bring it to your local pharmacy for safe disposal. While you are there pick up any replacement items you may need.
- Check and Replace Batteries. Go through your flashlights and ensure they are all in good working order, replacing any batteries and bulbs as necessary. This is also the perfect time to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, even if they aren’t chirping. There is nothing worse than being woken up in the middle of the night by that sound, except not having a spare battery on hand to make it stop. So avoid any hassle by changing the batteries and testing each of the alarms now.
- Pantry Items. How old are those spices? How about those cans of soup? It is easy to forget when things were purchased or to keep using newer items before the older ones (I am definitely guilty of putting new things in front of the old in my pantry). Check the expiry dates on all packaged and canned goods in your kitchen and toss anything that has passed its best before date.
Spring clean your relationships
- Have a Chat. Friendships should bring us happiness. If you are harboring any negative thoughts or feelings with people in your life now is the perfect opportunity to talk about it. Have open and honest conversations, say what is on your mind and work to fix any issues. After all, your friend or family member may have no idea you are feeling a certain way. It is time to clear the air.
- Relationship Let-go. If there are any negative relationships that you are holding on to, it may be time to consider letting them go. Especially if you have talked through it and things are not improving. By letting go of unhealthy or unproductive friendships you will open yourself up to many new ones.
- Create New Foundations. Spring cleaning isn’t just about “getting rid of the old” it is also about embracing the new. Reach out to neighbours and acquaintances and change these casual relationships into friendships. Go a step further by meeting completely new people in your community, particularly those that share your interests. Expanding your social circles is safe and easy with Amintro.
Spring clean your life
- Figure Out Finances. This can seem scary, stressful, boring, but sitting down and going through finances is important, no matter your financial situation. You don’t have to do it alone. Have a family member help or go to your local bank branch. Reviewing your finances, setting a budget, and making smart investments will leave you feeling confident.
- Dust Off Your Talents. Have you long abandoned your childhood talents? Dancing, biking, art, music – whatever your interest, bring it back into your life. Carve out time each week to take a class, join a league, or simply engage in an activity you love.
- Clear Your Mind. Negative thoughts and emotions can get the best of any of us. It is only natural to get angry, upset or jealous but harbouring these emotions can become detrimental to your own health. With the new season let go of any negativity and instead focus on all the great things going on in your life. This can be easier said than done, in which case meditation, yoga, exercise or counselling can help. And don’t forget the power of friendship. Having someone who you can share your feelings with can go a long way as well.
- Make a Schedule. It is so easy to get caught up in day-to-day life that we let the little things slip by. Set up a calendar and start scheduling your days. Include what needs to get done (work, chores, appointments) but also include personal items. Schedule nature walks, time out with friends, and time to read. This way you can plan your day/week/month and know that you are getting done what needs to be done while also taking care of yourself.
Amintro is the unique social community that matches you with possible friends. Designed exclusively for those 50 plus we are about fostering good old fashioned, platonic relationships.
By Christine Tompa