Lions and antelopes and zebras, oh my! The best opportunity to see these incredible creatures in the wild is on an African safari! Going on an African safari can be a once in a lifetime experience but in order to make the most of your trip, it’s important to prepare well in advance. We’ve compiled 7 tips for planning and preparing for your African safari. Check them out below!
- Save up your money to take the best trip! It’s no secret that African safaris are pricey. And when you’re traveling across the world, you want to have the best experience! Take your time in planning your trip and save up over months. This way, you won’t have to say no to anything and will be able to do the safari the way you want to.
- Narrow down exactly where you’ll go! Africa is a larger continent than you might realize so don’t expect to cover the entire thing in a single trip. It’s important to narrow down the exact places you want to visit. We suggest figuring this out by deciding on the sights and animals you want to see as these will only be available in certain places. Prioritize these locations first, and then add in any additional places.
- Decide on a group or private tour and where you’ll stay. Are you someone who likes experiencing new things with lots of people? Or maybe you prefer just a few friends? African safaris offer both group tours and private tours for people of all kinds. The kind of group you have could make or break your trip so choose based on your own preferences. The same goes for your accommodations. You can choose from hotels, hostels, or camps that you move around to. It’s best to choose what you’re most comfortable with!
- Look into any recommended vaccines or medications. When traveling to a new place, it’s important to check with a medical professional about any vaccines or medications that are recommended for the area you’re traveling to. For a safari, malaria medication is typically recommended as it’s prevalent across Africa.
- Understand the environment and what clothing you will need. Heat, rain, humidity…you’re probably going to experience it all! Light and sweat-proof clothing will be your best friend in the heat of the day while layers will keep you warm through chilly nights. Bring a couple pairs of shoes in case of blisters, like a pair of closed-toed runners and a pair of hiking sandals. A quick internet search can give you an exact packing list!
- Pack smart! In this case, less is more! Pack light when it comes to your trip. You’re going to be out and about and you don’t want to be weighed down by all of your luggage. Pack only what you’ll actually need and use each day. In addition to your everyday essentials, we recommend packing some entertainment that doesn’t require wifi like cards or a good book if you’re planning to stay at a camp.
- Don’t set your expectations too high for seeing animals! This may sound odd but it’s best to go into your trip not expecting to see what you see on National Geographic. African safaris take place in the wild with wild animals that go where they want when they want. You’ll be traveling with guides who are pros at finding them but sometimes, you just might not see what you came to see and that’s okay! Enjoy the animals you do get to see, which will be spectacular regardless!
African safaris are some of the most amazing trips to take! You’ll see incredible things that are of no comparison to anything you’ve seen before. We hope our tips help you plan and prepare for an incredible time!