The holidays are the perfect time of year to give back and connect with your community. ‘Tis the season after all! We have some ideas for how you can spend time with others and get involved with your local community this holiday season!
● Christmas Craft Fair – Christmas craft fairs are quite popular and can be found in many different communities. These are a great way to meet local artists and find some great gifts for people at the same time. You can also choose to volunteer at the craft fair as they often need people to collect money for entrance fees, if applicable, or serve festive treats or beverages.
● Potluck Dinner – Some communities put on a potluck dinner for those less fortunate or who are alone for the holidays. It’s a beautiful way to truly bring a community together. Volunteer to help serve or cook at the potluck dinner and spend the holidays helping others.
● Tree Lighting Ceremony – Many communities have a tree lighting ceremony in early December to mark the beginning of the Christmas season. Attend and enjoy a night of festive magic with your local neighbours. Another option is to see if they need any volunteers for the tree lighting ceremony and offer to help.
● Volunteer at a Local Food Bank – Food banks are always looking for volunteers, especially around the holidays when things get extra busy. Volunteer your time at a local food bank to help organize food donations to be given to those in need. Don’t feel discouraged if you don’t have a lot of time to give; any amount helps!
● Christmas Market – Like Christmas craft fairs, Christmas markets are a great way to connect with your community! Head on down and socialize with others while getting your holiday shopping done.
● Visit Older Adults and Family Members – Visit older adults and family members and ensure no one is left alone this holiday season. Many retirement residences are always looking for volunteers to come and spend time with older adults who may not have family nearby. It’s incredibly meaningful to the residents and gives you an opportunity to meet someone new.
The same goes for family members that you may not see often throughout the year. Spend quality time with loved ones during the festive season.
Do you have an older loved one that you want to visit this holiday season but can’t due to distance limitations? Goshenite Seniors Services offers Care Companion Services, where fully-trained bilingual Care Companions throughout the Sudbury area can spend time with your older loved one during the holidays. No one needs to be alone this Christmas! Goshenite Seniors Services also offers gift cards if you’d like to gift your loved one company and care at a later date.
● Donate to a Local Charity – The holidays are a time for giving to others in any way you can. Choose to give back this holiday season by donating either time or money to a local charity of your choice. Do a little research and pick a charity that resonates with you. Make this an annual tradition and carry it forward for holidays to come.