Are you in the market for a new hobby? There are numerous reasons why this might be the case! Hobbies come and go and we often have many throughout our lives at different stages. You might lose your love for 1 hobby but find it renewed again in another. In the craziness of life, it’s important to find what matters to you and makes you happy. Here are 10 ways to find yourself a new hobby!
- Try out some new activities. Don’t be afraid to try new things! This can be a great way to discover something you otherwise wouldn’t have known you enjoyed. Make a list of things you’ve never tried before and challenge yourself to do 1 new thing each month.
- Do things alone! This way, you can discover if you actually enjoy an activity or just the company of friends. Doing things alone can also help you simply enjoy your own company.
- Search for hobbies online. A quick search on the internet can offer you a world of possible hobbies to try. You can also often find examples of photos or videos if you’re unsure of what a particular hobby is.
- Sign up for things! Signing up for activities or sports can be a great way to hold yourself accountable. When you actually commit to going, you’re less likely to back out. A tip we have is to sign up with friends if you’re nervous to go alone! Doing a group activity with friends for the first time can help make things less scary.
- Do things you might not be immediately interested in! You might find some hobbies that you think won’t be for you. Why not give it a chance? Sometimes, we’re pleasantly surprised to find happiness in places we never expected to find it. By trying things you may not be immediately interested in, you can confidently know that you gave it your best shot!
- Ask others what they like to do. Ask friends or family what their favourite hobbies are! This might give you some ideas of new things to try. Or ask to join them for a week and see if it’s an activity you enjoy as well! Being surrounded by people having a good time can make an activity that much more enjoyable.
- Follow community influencers and bloggers. We suggest following community influencers and bloggers who promote events and activities around your local area. These can be really useful for taking advantage of the free activities put on in your community each week and month. You’ll easily stay up to date on what’s going on!
- Do something each weekend! The quickest way to find a new hobby is to try as many things as you can! Try something new each weekend until you find what sticks. We recommend doing things according to the seasons like outdoor activities primarily in the summer and indoor hobbies in the winter. You’ll not only look forward to fun weekends, but you’ll also be able to try a wide variety of new things!
- Make a challenge of it! If you need an extra push to get out there and find a new hobby, try making a challenge of it. Create your challenge in whatever way works for you! Here are some of our suggestions:
- Time challenge – 1 new activity each day/week/month
- Activity challenge – 10 new and distinct activities in the year
- Social challenge – 5 solo activities and 5 group activities
Choose a challenge that helps you to try new activities! It’s also a fantastic way to get out of the house.
10. Say yes! This trend has been gaining popularity in recent years and can be a great way to try new things and see what you enjoy. Were you invited to do something with someone? Say yes! We’re not encouraging you to say yes to dangerous or scary activities, or things you really don’t want to do. But think yes before thinking no, and then re-evaluate if you need to. This will allow you to try even more new things while maintaining a positive outlook!
Finding a new hobby can be a daunting task but it’s an opportunity to try new things, spend quality time with friends and family, and challenge yourself to get out of the house. We hope our 10 tips help you to get out there and start trying new things today!